Sunday, July 23, 2017

What does the party look like?

I don't usually use the jump break thingy when writing a blog post, but I'm going to try it here today.  Hopefully it works.

Anyway, I'd like you to close your eyes and imagine a typical D&D party.  Once you've got that idea in your head, click the thing to load the rest of the post.





I feel like a lot of the art in decades of mainstream fantasy gaming products trained us to imagine the typical party as something like this:
Please understand that I am not against this vision of PCs at all.  Your basic plain vanilla fighters, clerics, magic-users, thieves, elves, dwarves, and halflings are super duper welcome in my games.  In fact, I pretty much build my campaigns around that sort of party composition as the default.

But then there are the other options for envisioning the party.  I think they're equally valid.




Apparently this is the cover to a villains book.
They look like PCs to me.








Anyway, my point here--other than showing you some cool art--is that if there's a class or race that you really want to try, something in an old game product or that you saw on a blog somewhere, then maybe my campaign is the place to try it.  The Vaults of Vyzor have already been visited by a muscle wizard, a mutated goblin paladin, and a carpenter, just to name a few of the weirdos I've seen.  There's no reason why an uldra from Dragon magazine or a rune weaver from Arduin or darn near anything from the character class section of OSR Links to Wisdom couldn't visit my dungeon.  I mean, what's the worst case scenario?  The way I figure it the worst case scenario is that you wreck up my dungeon for part of a run and either your character is killed or I ask you not to bring that particular PC back.

So if that pitch appeals to you and you're free from 5am to 7am on Friday mornings (10 to noon Greenwich), get the rest of the details and the link to the sign-up sheet here.

No comments:

Post a Comment